



MEMBERS OF LANCASTER COUNTY PLANNING COMMISSION

CHARLES DEESE, DISTRICT 3, CHAIRMAN

DISTRICT 5

YOKIMA CURETON, DISTRICT 2

JUDIANNA TINKLENBERG, DISTRICT 4

SHEILA HINSON, DISTRICT 6

ALAN PATTERSON, DISTRICT 1

, DISTRICT 7

SECRETARY: AIMEE SHOLAR

**MINUTES OF THE LANCASTER COUNTY PLANNING COMMISSION
WORKSHOP MEETING**

**November 7, 2024 5:00 P.M.
MINUTES**

Chairman Deese called the meeting to order at 5:00 p.m.

1. Roll Call:

Members Present:

Charles Deese

Sheila Hinson

Shelly Richards

Alan Patterson

Judianna Tinklenberg

Jason Cavalier

Absent: Yokima Cureton has resigned, but was present as an observer.

Others Present:

Allison Hardin, Development Services Dir.

April Williams, Planning Director

Matthew Blaszyk, Planner

Jennifer Bryan, Planning Technician

Admin. Assistant: Aimee Sholar

The following press were notified of the meeting by email in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act: The Lancaster News, Kershaw News Era, The Rock Hill Herald, The Fort Mill Times, Cable News 2, Channel 9, and the local Government Channel.

2. New Business

a. TA-2024-2207 Ohm Hotels/Building Height:

Application by Alkesh Patel/Ohm Hotels Management Inc, for a text amendment to UDO Sec. 2.4.6(A) Building Height, to allow four-story buildings in GB district.

Staff Presentation: Allison Hardin, Development Services Director

Discussion: It will be a hotel behind retail on Charlotte Hwy. Hotel model Rock Hill Marriott (4 stories tall). Current regulations cannot be 4 stories. The applicant wants 55 feet, or 4 stories tall (max. 14 ft= 1 story) GB zone needs to be mapped out in the Indian Land area. This will be good, especially for events.

Chairman Deese: If we do a text amendment tall buildings will pop up all over the county. If we do this in Indian Land area what about the airport area. We need to be careful about the overlay districts.

Jason Cavalier: Why 55ft? Shouldn't it be 56?

Allison: I am not sure why 55 was chosen- 14 is not mandatory.

Alan Patterson: Is this something the fire Marshall can weigh in on?

Allison: Anything above 35 stories then you must talk about a sprinkler system.

Judianna Tinklenberg: Can we talk about this in just the 521 corridor? Would there be a way to do it in certain types of use? I like keeping it in certain zoning or use types.

Allison: In certain zones.

Alan Patterson: Proposed text amendments have height limits.

Shelly Richards: Motel vs. Hotel- 3 to 4 is the class break.

Allison: Two to three stories of rooms.

b. RZ-2024-2215 Thompson:

Application by John Thompson to rezone a parcel of 2.68 acres on the east side of North Rocky River Road 0.225 miles north of the intersection with Pageland Highway (TM# 0058-00-076.01) from Rural Business (RUB) to General Business (GB) district, to accommodate expansion of a plan for self-service mini-storage on the adjacent property

Staff Presentation: Matthew Blaszyk, Planner

Jason Cavalier: Were there any issues?

Matthew: No there were not any.

c. TA-2024-2403 BZA Reconstitution

Application by Lancaster County for a text amendment to UDO Sec. 9.1.5 Board of Zoning Appeals, to amend the membership and reconstitute the board.

Staff Presentation: April Williams, Planning Director

Alan Patterson: Page 20 - is this the new text?

AW: BZA was created in the UDO. Amending the UDO from 7 to 5. We are having a difficult time making a quorum when looking at the last 5 years of attendance.

Alan Patterson: So BZA, what would prevent it from being represented in one district. Someone could have the BZA loaded.

Allison Hardin: There will be a new ordinance saying it has to have representations from all districts of 5 but a backup plan of 7. It can't be a super majority. That is how the council is. We have already talked about it with the BZA about it. We have had discussions.

Judianna Tinklenberg: How will this work?

AH: They can pick the same people it is up to the council.

AW: We are taking an opportunity to start fresh.

Chairman Deese: Nothing to do with the people who came and didn't get to have their case heard. Other than 1 case they have all been heard. If there is a developer that comes and can't get their case heard that is terrible.

AW: We will stagger their terms.

d. SD-2024-0656 Eagles Landing (Edgewater):

Application by True Homes LLC and Lancaster County Forfeited Land Commission for a Preliminary Plat for 65.94 acres located off Edgewater Parkway (p/o TM# 0106-00-003.00) to develop a 125-lot single family residential neighborhood. This area is part of the Edgewater community.

Staff Presentation: Matthew Blaszyk, Planner.

Discussion: Judianna Tinklenberg: These maps are not good to look at.

Only one access is a concern.

Chairman Deese: It is concerning that they are adding more phases if they don't have the requirements- water and sewer.

Allison Hardin: Catawba Ridge Blvd is due this month. April is making sure this is going in the right direction.

Jennifer Bryan: They just submitted new revisions today.

April Williams: The only concern is the DA is holding us to it's rules.

Chairman Deese: It's beginning to be a nice development it's big.

Shelly Richards: I personally built the road for Edgewater. When driving last night I had to wait for 27 cars. Blind curve to the right. I called DOT and had bushes cut and added signage.

Allison Hardin: I will check with Jeff Cato.

Alan Patterson: General comments on the number of residents emails and phone calls since my last meeting. We have correspondence but we need to let them know we are limited to helping them. But we need to let them know they are being heard.

Judianna Tinklenberg: I agree.

Jason Cavalier: Like when the one was withdrawn.

Allison Hardin: Edgewater should be moved to the top.

April Williams: The next phase will give them a second access point and that's why they are in a hurry.

Jason Cavalier: Was there a time limit on the phase?

Allison Hardin: Edgewater is one of the oldest DA agreements 75 yrs it freezes the regulations and zoning about what we can and can't do. South Carolina put in an extension of permits. We are stuck with it or be sued for 83yrs. Changed hands 4 times. They did come to the table for Catawba Ridge Road.

Chairman Deese: It started coming together from a magazine company True Homes.

e. Kershaw Annexation: 541 W. Richland Street

Application by Artis C. Bufford, Artis J. Bufford and Tony M. Wright to annex property at 541 W. Richland Street (TM 0155-00-059.00) into the town of Kershaw.

Staff Presentation: April Williams, Planning Director

Discussion: Staff: the backlog is finished, from here on in there should be only one or two at a time.

f. NRN-2024-2284 Carter Hill Lane:

Application by Angel Carter to name a shared private drive at 1517 Burke Duncan Road to be named pursuant to Sec. 6.11.4.G of the Unified Development Ordinance.

Staff Presentation: Jennifer Bryan

Discussion: Adjacent property owners have applied for building permits, so UDO requires naming.

3. Other:

Shelly Richards: Will do the pledge and prayer on 11/19.

Discussion: UDO consultants- next Wednesday to talk about council- LDR Panhandle- different rules. The meeting will be on Wednesday November 13, 2024, from 1:00-3:00 with the stakeholders. The staff will be up to date, and everyone can ask questions.

Allison: The stormwater chapter is missing from the UDO, it's not final yet. Being pushed to get it to the council by January. I don't know if we will get there on time.

Alan Patterson: I don't know if we can do it tonight or wait until the next meeting. We have experts that could help. We could have a three-person subcommittee. It's practical to work with staff. Can we create a subcommittee?

Jason Cavalier: We could help because we have engineering experience. I don't think we have to vote on it.

Jennifer: We must have minutes from the subcommittee.

Chairman Deese: The bigger the crowd the less you get done.

Alan Patterson: We haven't committed to this point- we should do a subcommittee to move forward.

Chairman Deese: Looking at what could happen I won't do it without the council, I would prefer to wait until after the 13th.

Allison: I have intentions for it to be like the comp plan.

Judianna Tinklenberg: I have been frustrated with having to talk about it month after month. Either there needs to be a second meeting, or we need to start the conversation because we need to stop kicking the can.

April: The council is telling us to get the consultants here.

Judianna Tinklenberg: If it is supposed to be a joint meeting for a subcommittee.

Chairman Deese: I will let everyone know when I call you to tell you if you are on the subcommittee or not.

Jason Cavalier: Can we do a chapter at a time?

Allison: We can do a once-a-week thing on teams. Same day each week. There will be some chapters we can't get through in an hour.

Allison: After work hours would be fine also. I only have conflicts with council meetings.

Chairman Deese: Cavalier, Tinklenberg, and Richards are the 3 who are chosen for the subcommittee. Weekly meetings and minutes are needed.

Judianna Tinklenberg: Joint meetings should be evenings or before 2 pm. I am not available for that first meeting, possibly I will check with my husband.

Allison: It's the first one. We should probably be 2 more.

Chairman Deese: There are sections that are completed and other sections that are not complete.

Allison: 2 and 3 are the biggest heartache. Three times the council has shut me down on these items.

4. Adjourn

Meeting was adjourned at 6:36 pm